In my quest to update my decor - which hasn't been updated in at least ten years (...I feel old) - I stumbled upon this picture on Pinterest:
It's from Blue Cricket Design and she gives a great tutorial on how to make it. I loved the idea and naturally had to try it - with my own modifications.
First, I found an old damaged book. In this case, it was a Pippi Longstocking book that Niall had ripped the cover off of. I pulled out a bunch of pages and made sure all the straight edges were interestingly torn.
Then I mod-podged them to my canvas. Spread a bunch of glue in one area, put down a page, and mod-podge over that. Rinse and repeat until the canvas is totally covered.
In the tutorial, she used some magazine cutouts of birds and drew the branches and leaves by hand, then colored over it all with sharpie. Obviously it looked great, but I wanted to use my Silhouette craft cutter instead. I got to mess around with the design a lot without drawing all over my canvas, and then once it was cut, I just had to glue it down, and seal it with more mod podge. I made sure to include a cardinal, as a nod to my grandmother.
I think it came out really well. Unfortunately, I can't take a nicely staged picture of it because my house is a mess.. but you get the idea.