Saturday, September 22, 2012

After A Long Break...

So much for that!  Life just loves to laugh at my plans, I guess.  We've been out of town for the past couple weeks because of a death in the family, which obviously made it hard to work on the Beck Diet Solution, or any real self-help stuff, or blog, or craft, or do anything 'normal' really.  Thankfully we're back home now and trying to get back into our routine - though we're all suffering from colds at the moment.

The trip went well overall, despite the difficult parts.  I was amazed that our kids did so well in the car - driving from Boston to Fort Myers was really intimidating, but they were awesome!


We stopped every two or three hours at rest areas or welcome centers to let the kids run around and use the bathroom.  The harness I made for Niall came in really handy.

In Ft Myers, we spent a considerable amount of time attending to family matters.  Doug's grandmother, who passed, wasn't like the hoarders that you see on TV, but close.  Her house looked neat and tidy on the surface, but every possible drawer, closet, nook, and cranny was filled with the oddest assortment of things.  To make matters worse, none of it was organized, so you couldn't just take what appeared to be a pile of coupons from 1992 and throw them out, because mixed in would be old family pictures, sentimental correspondence, or financial documents.

On the upside, it was wonderful to get to see family we almost never have a chance to visit with.  We hadn't seen Doug's sister since our wedding, so it was great to catch up.  Her children are older than ours, but absolutely fantastic and happily played with our kids.

After wrapping up a lot of business in Ft Myers, we headed over to West Palm Beach to visit with my side of the family - again, people we really don't get to see that often.  My cousins were adorable, and I got to spend some quality time with my grandmother.

To cap the trip, we surprised the children with a very short trip to Disney to attend Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.  We didn't really need to go as we're planning a much longer trip to Disney in January, but it felt wrong to pass within an hour's distance and not stop.  We all had a fabulous time and took advantage of all the extra special events at the party.


We also got a lot of compliments on our Mickey tie-dye shirts, which always makes me feel great.  But the really interesting thing is that our quick jaunt to Disney has really given me a kick in the pants as far as getting into shape is concerned.  I was able to do all the walking I needed to, but boy, was I sore the next day (and the day after!).  There's no way I can handle two weeks of Disney in the shape I'm in now.  I'd remembered how much walking there was from when we went in 2011, but time had sort of dulled the pain, I guess.  It's very fresh in my mind now, though!

So, all in all.. it's been a crazy couple of weeks, but I'm so glad to be back home and back into my routine.  I'm redoubling my efforts on both my health and my Etsy store, so look out for lots of fun posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment