Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Living Simply

We're striving towards simplicity.. it's something we started, in theory, a year ago, but it got put mostly on hold. Now we're kicking into high gear with a Major Decluttering. Getting rid of stuff is one of the easiest ways to simplify, and we're having fun with it so far. I just wish I had more free time to get stuff done.

Last weekend, we bagged up three giant trashbags full of clothes - mine, Doug's, and newborn clothes Niall's already outgrown. I also sorted through the kids' books and set aside four boxes full to sell at our next yardsale. The plan for this weekend was to go to IKEA and find a storage solution for the kids toys and then to majorly pare down what they have. Unfortunately, it's supposed to be wicked hot and since that project would involve lots of attic time, we may have to postpone it.

In the meantime, I'm reading this:



So far, it seems pretty basic, all stuff I've read or thought of on my own. But I'm still in the beginning, and it's good to have my thoughts reinforced by an outside source.

4 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the website The Simple Dollar? I think you'd like it, and you can subscribe to the posts. Lots of frugal ideas to make your life more "simple".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a great site! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! We worked for years to declutter! It took moving across the country and only having the space on top of the car to carry our belongings to really get it done though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also view simpleliving.org often....there is a discussion forum.

    ReplyDelete